Will this condition run in families (be inherited)?

Yes, this condition may be inherited to the other generations of the family. This condition is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern, which means that the children will be affected if they inherit one copy of each parent’s mutated (changed) gene. If there is only one mutated gene, CAH will not be inherited. In children with CAH, the father and the mother are the carriers. In every pregnancy, they have a 25% chance of having children with CAH, a 50% chance of having a carrier children, and a 25% of giving birth to a non-carrier. This image below will explain the inheritance pattern.

Shall my baby take on medication for the rest of his/her life?

The treatment goal in CAH is to replace the missing hormones which is required by the body, so this treatment is the long life treatment.

Is this disease curable?

This condition cannot be "cured", but it can be controlled by medications as effectively as possible so the symptoms can be suppressed.

Can my child grow like the other kids?

Yes, children with CAH can grow like the other kids, as long as he/she regularly take on the medicine prescribed.

What should I do if my child gets sick?

Give 5 doses of hydrocortisone at once if your child has one or more of this conditions:
- High fever with temperature > 38,5 Celcius
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Look seriously ill

Immediately go to the Emergency Department to get a hydrocortisone shot if your child has one or more of the following:
- Traffic accidents
- Medical emergency that needs surgical intervention
- Loss of consciousness
- Unable to take the medication orally For more information please see information on the emergency site. Professionals This sections has to be extended with information about
1. Symptoms
2. Diagnostics
3. treatment

Can my child be fully vaccinated?

Children with CAH can be fully vaccinated, but sometimes fever occurs after getting the immunization. Give 3 times of hydrocortisone dose at least 1 hour before vaccination. If fever comes after getting the shot, maintain the increased hydrocortisone dose until it subsides.